Andrew T. Morgan
Andrew T. Morgan is an equity partner with Canan Law. His practice specializes in family and criminal law. He has worked extensively in St. Johns, Duval, Flagler and Putnam counties in matters involving high net-worth family law litigation and complex criminal defense. His family law litigation cases routinely include the valuation and distribution of business entities such as medical practices, restaurants, professional practices, construction companies and retail stores. Additionally, he has extensive experience in divorces that involve a high wage earner and alimony defense or request. His criminal experience involves litigation both as a defense attorney and as an Assistant State Attorney. While at the State Attorney's Office, he handled cases ranging from misdemeanors to offenses punishable by life in prison. Since leaving the State Attorney's Office, he has defended high profile and complex criminal cases including but not limited to murder, dui, dui manslaughter, sexual battery, robbery, drug offenses (trafficking and possession) and battery cases (aggravated, felony, domestic).
Mr. Morgan has been recognized by several independent and peer review legal services including Super Lawyers. Mr. Morgan is very active in community and professional associations. He is the past president of both the St. Johns and Putnam County Bar Associations, he is a member of the Florida Bar Family Law section and the Florida Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys. He is a past member of the National District Attorneys Association and former Assistant Director of the Republican National Lawyers Association. Mr. Morgan has been a member of the St. Augustine Sunrise Rotary since 2008.
He earned his J.D. in 2005 from Florida Coastal School of Law, his M.B.A. in 2002 from Winthrop University, and his B.A. in 2001 from Eckerd College. He is admitted to the Florida Bar and the United States Middle District of Florida.
He is married and has two sons.
Areas of Practice
- 75% Family Law
- 25% Criminal Law
- Florida, 2005
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida, 2009
- Florida Coastal School of Law, Jacksonville, Florida
- Eckerd College
- B.A. - 2001
- Major: Business
- Winthrop University
- M.B.A., Master of Business Administration - 2002
Honors and Awards
- Florida Super Lawyers - Rising Star (Family Law), 2016
- Florida Super Lawyers - Rising Star (Family Law), 2017
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Assistant State Attorney, 7th Judicial Circuit (St.Johns, Putnam, Flagler and Volusia counties)
- Republican National Lawyers Association, Member (Former Asst. director), 2005 - Present
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Gary P. Flower, 4th Judicial Circuit
- Putnam County Bar, President
- Juvenile Justice Coalition, Vice President
- St. Johns County Bar Association, Member (Former President), 2007 - Present
Past Employment Positions
- Office of the State Attorney - 7th Judicial Circuit, Prosecuting Attorney, 2005 - 2007
Pro Bono Activities
- Certified Legal Intern Prosecutor - Office of the State Attorney 7th Judicial Circuit, 2004 - 2005
- Law Clerk to Honorable Gary P. Flower, 4th Judicial Circuit, 2002 - 2004