Canan Law




alimonyAlimony, also called spousal support, support or maintenance, is generally defined as financial assistance given from one spouse to another after the marriage has dissolved. Depending upon the circumstances of your marriage, you or your spouse may be eligible to collect alimony. Florida law does not discriminate with regard to who can receive alimony – either the husband or wife can be eligible to receive financial support from the other. Alimony can vary in the length of its duration: It can be temporary or permanent. Alimony can also vary in type: It can be lump-sum, bridge-the-gap, or rehabilitative.

Whether or not alimony is needed after a divorce depends on the specific living situation of the couple. If you and your former spouse have been married for a short period of time, or if you and your former spouse have both held regular jobs, then it is not likely that you will need spousal support. If, however, you or your former spouse had no other income other than that earned by the other—possibly because one of you stayed home to raise your children—then alimony may be necessary. Once this is determined, then the specific type and amount of alimony awarded will be established by the court, which depends on a number of factors including, but not limited to, the length of the marriage, the standard of living established during the marriage, contributions each individual made to the marriage, as well as the age, physical condition, emotional condition, educational background and employment potential of each spouse.

The cases surrounding alimony are some of the most bitterly contested and emotional cases that will occur throughout the entire marriage. For this reason, it is not advisable that you attempt to deal with your case all on your own. The outcome of the spousal support will often have a direct and profound impact on the rest of your life. For this reason, you will want to be sure that you are coming to an amount that is fair.

No matter whether you are being asked to pay or if you are looking for maintenance from your ex-spouse, we encourage you to contact our legal team as soon as possible. We know the importance of this process and are prepared to provide our clients with high-quality, reliable assistance when it is needed most. We have extensive experience handling claims of this nature and will do everything we can to ensure that they move forward as successfully as possible.

Whether you need assistance establishing, collecting, modifying or enforcing alimony, our attorneys can answer any questions you may have. Call the St. Johns County family law attorneys at Canan Law today to schedule an initial consultation and case evaluation.

The Law Offices of Patrick T. Canan in St. Augustine, Florida represents clients throughout St. Johns County, Duval County, Flagler County, Putman County, Clay County,
and the cities of St. Augustine, Ponte Vedra Beach, Palm Coast, Palatka, Green Cove Springs, Bunnell, Flagler Beach, Hastings, Crescent City, Interlachen, and Jacksonville.

The Offices of Patrick T. Canan | 1030 N. Ponce de Leon Blvd | St. Augustine, FL 32084 | Telephone 904.824.9402 | Fax 904.824.9269
Email | For emergencies, call 904.716.3450 | Office Hours: 8:30-5:00 Monday through Friday
Site by: Avid Design Group, LLC