5 Steps To Follow If You Are Arrested
5 Steps To Take If You Are Arrested In St. Augustine, Florida
- Stay silent. You do not need to answer police questions or incriminate yourself. Trying to explain the situation can backfire quickly. Follow police commands immediately, such as walk, sit or stand. Do not resist arrest or it may hinder your case.
- Ask for your lawyer immediately. Continue asking until granted this right. This is the only thing you should say to the police.
- If you are arrested, contact a bail bondsman or a friend to help get you out.
- Gather evidence for your case. You will need to identify witnesses and any relevant evidence to give to your attorney. This will help form their defense for the case.
- Be honest with your lawyer. Anything you say is kept confidential from everyone else, including the police. A lawyer does not use what you say against you.
If You Or A Loved One Is Arrested, Contact The Lawyers At Canan Law
Call us at 904-824-9402, or contact us by online form 24/7. We offer free consultations and affordable, flexible fee schedules for residents in St. Johns County and Northeast Florida.