Get to Know Attorney Daniel Hilbert
Daniel K. Hilbert is originally from St. Louis, Missouri. After graduating from Westminster College in 2003, Mr. Hilbert moved to Florida to attend law school in Jacksonville, Florida. In law school, Mr. Hilbert was a member of the Mock Trial Team and was awarded Best Advocate in 2006. Mr. Hilbert graduated in the top twenty percent (20%) of his class and earned the Humanitarian Award at graduation.
After graduating in 2006, Mr. Hilbert knew he wanted to be a litigator trying cases in the courtroom. As such, he began a career as an Assistant State Attorney working in both the Fourth Judicial Circuit and the Seventh Judicial Circuit. Mr. Hilbert prosecuted mainly in Duval, Clay, Saint Johns, Putnam, and Flagler Counties.
As an Assistant State Attorney, Mr. Hilbert tried over 30 jury trials including cases of Attempted Murder, Sexual Battery, Armed Robbery, Arson, and Trafficking in Narcotics. In 2010, Mr. Hilbert went into private practice to utilize his litigation experience to help people all over northeast Florida. Since 2010, Mr. Hilbert has taken dozens more criminal, civil, and family law cases to trial in St. Johns County, Florida, and the surrounding counties.
In August of 2016, Mr. Hilbert earned Board Certification in the specialty of Criminal Trial Law. Established in 1982 by the Florida Supreme Court, board certification helps consumers identify specialists in various areas of law. As of 2016, only 7% of all eligible Florida Bar members are designated as board-certified in their specific areas of focus.
In the summer of 2013, Mr. Hilbert began teaching at Florida State College at Jacksonville as an Adjunct Professor focusing on Litigation. In the fall of 2017, Mr. Hilbert was hired as an Adjunct Professor of Law at Flagler College teaching the “Legal Environment of Business.”
In addition to teaching law to college students, Mr. Hilbert was recently asked by the Florida Bar – Young Lawyer’s Division to present to other lawyers on the topics of Criminal Procedure (May 2017) and Hearsay and Character Evidence in Criminal Trials (December 2017).
If your case is heading into a courtroom, it is important to hire an attorney who has been there and fought that. Mr. Hilbert is ready to lend his expertise to your case. Free consultations are offered on all Criminal and Personal Injury matters.
Areas of Practice
- 60% Criminal Trial Law
- 20% Personal Injury
- 20% Civil Trial Law
Certified Legal Specialties
- Criminal Trial Law, The Florida Bar, 2016
- Florida, 2007
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 2010
Florida Coastal School of Law, Jacksonville, Florida
- J.D. – 2006
Westminster College, Fulton
- Major: Philosophy
- Minor: Sociology
- Civil Litigation, FSCJ, 2013 – Present
- Adjunct Professor, Florida State College at Jacksonville, 2013 – Present
- Adjunct Professor, Flagler College, 2017 – Present
Honors and Awards
- Florida Super Lawyers – Rising Star (Family Law), 2016
- Florida Super Lawyers – Rising Star (Personal Injury Law), 2017
Professional Associations and Memberships
- St. Johns County Bar Association, Past President, 2010 – Present
- Florida Bar Unlicensed Practice of Law Board, Board Member, 2015 – Present
- Saint Johns County Bar Association, Vice President, 2013 – Present
- Putnam County Bar Association
- Board Member – Florida Bar Unlicensed Practice of Law , 2015 – Present
- Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member, 2016 – Present
Past Employment Positions
- Alexander Law Firm, Attorney, 2010 – 2014
- State Attorney’s Office, Assistant State Attorney, 2006 – 2009
Pro Bono Activities
- Rotary Club of Saint Augustine, Club Director, 2010 – Present
- Saint Augustine Police Dept. Retirement Fund , Board Member, 2015 – Present
- Saint Johns County Sports Club , Past President, 2010 – Present
- Fraternal Order of the Elks, Member, 2017 – Present
- Phi Delta Theta
What Sets Canan Law Apart?
Always in Your Corner
When you are facing a legal matter, it can seem like everything is spinning out of control. Our team works to slow things down and present you with all of your options in order to fulfill your best interests.
The attorneys at Canan Law all live in the community they work in and truly care about the people who they are helping. They also know of all the individuals in the legal and court systems in the area.
When you hire one Canan Law attorney, you hire us all. We make it a point to work with our whole team on your case to ensure there is always somebody available to answer your questions.
Our team of attorneys has over 250 combined jury trials. We are not afraid to take your case to trial to ensure you are getting everything you need & deserve.