St. Augustine Civil Litigation Attorneys
Skilled Representation for You
Unlike a criminal prosecution, civil litigation involves filing a lawsuit to resolve a private dispute between two or more parties. Individuals often seek to recover damages for a wrong done or request an injunction for specific action to be taken.
The Basic Process
In a nutshell, a civil lawsuit encompasses the following procedures:
- A complaint is filed: A party files a complaint in a specific court, naming certain parties and allegations against each.
- A response is filed: The parties with whom the complaint is filed then file a written response to the complaint, along with any counterclaims they may have against the petitioner.
- Discovery commences: After the response is filed, both sides engage in the discovery process. The parties learn about all the facts in greater detail to prepare for the trial. This can be done by the exchange of documents or questioning via a deposition.
The above is a basic synopsis of the process. However, civil lawsuits are incredibly complex and require the skill of an attorney knowledgeable in handling such matters.
At Canan Law, we have successfully handled many different civil matters. Through skillful negotiation or litigation, we often resolve:
- Real estate disputes, including landlord-tenant issues, title, and boundary disputes
- Business disputes such as breach of contract, trademark infringement, or breach of noncompete agreements
- Workplace disputes, including employee discrimination claims, breach of contract, or severance agreements
- Government claims, including lawsuits against a governmental entity due to civil rights violations or false arrest
If you have questions about filing a civil suit or responding to one filed against you, contact one of our civil litigation attorneys to learn how we can help.