Get to Know Attorney Patrick Canan
Canan Law was founded by attorney Patrick T. Canan. A s the former Chief Prosecutor of St. Johns County , Patrick is now one of the area’s foremost trial lawyers . Patrick has a BA degree and a law degree from the University of Florida. He is a former Assistant Public Defender in Alachua and Monroe Counties and Assistant State Attorney/Division Chief in St. Johns County. Patrick is the founder and President of Patrick T. Canan P.A., a litigation firm located at 1030 N. Ponce de Leon Blvd. in St. Augustine. Patrick is also a certified Circuit Court mediator.
Patrick is a former adjunct professor at Flagler College and substitute school teacher in Oakland, California . He was an appointed member of the St. Johns County School District Strategic Planning Committee, a group of community leaders and teachers which successfully collaborated to create the District ‘s five year vision and now serves as an elected member of the St. Johns County school board since 2012 servicing as the chairman for the 2016 year.
Areas of Practice
- 65% Auto Accident Litigation
- 10% Civil Litigation
- 10% Medical Malpractice
- 10% Personal Injury
- 5% Mediation
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Court Mediator, Florida Supreme Court, 2002
- Florida, 1983
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida, 1995
University of Florida College of Law, Gainesville, Florida
- Juris Doctor – 1981
University of Florida, Gainesville
- Major: Political Science
Honors and Awards
- Best Attorney – Best of St. Augustine, 2012 – 2013, 2015 – 2016
- AV Preeminent Rated, Martindale-Hubbell, 2016
- Preeminent 5.0 out of 5, Martindale-Hubbell, 2013
- Pro Bono Award, Volunteer Lawyers Project, 1998, 1999 and 2001
Professional Associations and Memberships
- St. Johns County Bar Association, Member, 1994 – Present
Past Employment Positions
- Public Defender’s Office Alachua County, Assistant Public Defender, 1982 – 1984
- Public Defender’s Office Monroe County, Assistant Public Defender, 1984 – 1990
- Mcleod Canan, LLC, Partner, 1994 – 2003
- State Attorney’s Office, Chief Assistant State Attorney, 1992 – 1994
- Assistant State Attorney, State Attorney’s Office , 1990 – 1992
- Flagler College, Adjunct Professor, 1990 – 1992
Pro Bono Activities
- St. Johns County Legal Aid, 1994 – Present
- St. Johns County School Board, 2012 to present
What Sets Canan Law Apart?
Always in Your Corner
When you are facing a legal matter, it can seem like everything is spinning out of control. Our team works to slow things down and present you with all of your options in order to fulfill your best interests.
The attorneys at Canan Law all live in the community they work in and truly care about the people who they are helping. They also know of all the individuals in the legal and court systems in the area.
When you hire one Canan Law attorney, you hire us all. We make it a point to work with our whole team on your case to ensure there is always somebody available to answer your questions.
Our team of attorneys has over 250 combined jury trials. We are not afraid to take your case to trial to ensure you are getting everything you need & deserve.