St. Augustine Divorce Attorney

Few areas of law create more despair, pain, and suffering, like divorce and family law. But, that doesn’t mean that you need to do this alone. St. Augustine divorce attorneys at Canan Law are here to help you through this rough patch in your life.

The probability of divorce in life for many couples in St. Augustine is inevitable. If your marriage can no longer peacefully exist, it may make sense to file for divorce. Some divorce settlements are agreeable and straightforward, others require a family law attorney to navigate the law's complexities.

The process begins by filing a divorce petition in a Florida divorce court. It ends with a family judge giving a divorce decree. What happens between the petition and the decree is where the hard work goes into play – and why you need a qualified family law attorney.

Which Court Will Handle Your Florida Divorce?

When the time comes to seek the assistance of a family law attorney to help with your divorce, your lawyer will first determine the appropriate court or jurisdiction to file your divorce.

Divorce For Florida Residents

To file for a divorce in St. Augustine, St. Johns County or anywhere in Northeast Florida, your lawyer must prove that either you or your spouse lives in this area and has also been a Florida resident for at least six months and before filing.

Residency for divorce purposes must corroborate by a driver’s license, voter registration or third-party testimony.

Out-Of-State Residents

For parties whose primary residence is in another state, we can establish jurisdiction through a “long arm statute.” This is a state law that allows a court to have authority over an individual domiciled in another state as long as that person has sufficient minimum contacts with Florida.

When Should You Hire a St. Augustine Divorce Attorney?

Navigating the complexities of divorce proceedings can be emotionally draining and legally intricate, particularly in the state of Florida. Knowing when to seek the expertise of a divorce attorney is crucial for safeguarding your rights and achieving a favorable outcome. Here are compelling reasons why engaging a seasoned divorce attorney is often advisable:

  • Legal Expertise and Guidance: Florida's divorce laws encompass various statutes and regulations that can significantly impact the outcome of your case. A St. Augustine divorce attorney possesses an in-depth understanding of these laws, ensuring that your rights are protected throughout the legal process. From property division to child custody arrangements, their expertise can guide you through complex legal procedures with clarity and confidence.
  • Mitigating Emotional Stress: Divorce proceedings can evoke intense emotions and strain interpersonal relationships. By enlisting the services of a reputable divorce attorney in St. Augustine, you can alleviate much of the emotional burden associated with legal battles. Your attorney serves as a compassionate advocate, offering objective advice and support during this challenging period, allowing you to focus on rebuilding your life.
  • Negotiation and Settlement: In many divorce cases, reaching an amicable settlement outside of court can spare both parties considerable time, expense, and emotional turmoil. A skilled divorce attorney can facilitate negotiations and advocate for your interests, striving to achieve a fair and equitable resolution. With their expertise in mediation and alternative dispute resolution techniques, they can help you navigate contentious issues with diplomacy and tact.
  • Protection of Parental Rights: If children are involved in the divorce proceedings, ensuring their well-being and safeguarding your parental rights is paramount. A seasoned divorce attorney can advocate for your rights as a parent, striving to secure a custody arrangement that prioritizes the best interests of your children. Whether negotiating parenting plans or addressing child support matters, their legal acumen is invaluable in protecting your familial bonds.

The Laws And Procedures Are Complex. Get An Experienced Firm To Avoid Problems

If you are contemplating divorce, you want an expert divorce attorney who knows the jurisdictional procedures and the law to protect your interests adequately. We can help with high net worth assets and seeking alimony from your ex-spouse.

At Canan Law, our team of divorce attorneys has decades of experience with Florida divorce laws and procedures in St. Johns County. Let us help you.

Contact Our Firm To Learn More About The Process

If you are contemplating divorce, reach out to our team of lawyers to learn about the law, your options and how we can help you achieve your goals.

Call our law offices at (904) 849-2266, or reach out online.

Why Choose Canan Law?

  • Always in Your Corner

    When you are facing a legal matter, it can seem like everything is spinning out of control. Our team works to slow things down and present you with all of your options in order to fulfill your best interests.

  • Community Knowledge

    The attorneys at Canan Law all live in the community they work in and truly care about the people who they are helping. They also know of all the individuals in the legal and court systems in the area.

  • Dedicated Teamwork

    When you hire one Canan Law attorney, you hire us all. We make it a point to work with our whole team on your case to ensure there is always somebody available to answer your questions.

  • Litigation Experience

    Our team of attorneys has over 250 combined jury trials. We are not afraid to take your case to trial to ensure you are getting everything you need & deserve.

The Firm You Can Trust

Put Our Team On Your Side Today
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.